You have been chosen to participate in the inaugural launch of a new breed of expression: the magasin rapide. Now before you dismiss this as a bunch of crazy-word spam I’ll translate it for you: rapid magazine.
I’ve always wanted to start a magazine. Be it in the form of a pdf, a website, a CD-ROM, a t-shirt, a glossy, or a rag. I spend hours and hours and hours and hours coming up with names (Mundane Magazine, Glabella, Blunt), designs, sections, authors, ideas. I mired myself down in details instead of diving into beta.
Ever since I came up with 10 Ideas In 10 Minutes™, my rapid brainstorming technique, I want to do everything NOW! There’s no excuse! If you can’t take 10 minutes out of your day, you may as well give up now. But wait wait wait wait wait! Don’t leave! I’m not trying to de-motivate you. I’m trying to make a point— everyone can make 10 minutes. I’ll give you 10 ways you can make up 10 minutes today and help me make this dream a reality:
- DON’T SHOWER
- IGNORE ONE PHONE CALL
- GET TAKE-OUT
- DRIVE OR CAB-IT TO WORK
- LEAVE THE DISHES IN THE SINK
- SKIP THE NEWS
- SAVE THAT BM FOR THE NEXT MORNING
- PUSH THAT SMOKE/COFFEE BREAK
- TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER, JUST FOR A BIT
- MISS ONE FRAG SESSION
- GO TO BED 10 MINUTES LATER THAN USUAL
Look at that, I just thought of 11 ways you could save 10 minutes today and make history. Hell, I just bought you almost 2 hours!
SO HERE’S THE ASSIGNMENT IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT:
Create something in 10 minutes and send it to me. There are only a few rules.
1) IT HAS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES OR LESS. You can cheat only in set up time and idea generation. The act of creation must be roughly 10 minutes. If you figure out a way to sell me on a series of things that each take 10 minutes, I’ll consider it. But otherwise the entire name of the magazine wouldn’t make sense would it?
2) IT HAS TO BE DIGITIZABLE. You need to email it to me, so just keep that in mind. If it’s a plate of cupcakes I can’t use it. Unless you figure out how to capture them of course. Music, video, animation, novella, photography, mix-cd cover art (hint hint Mr. Processedcheese) recipes, watercolour, poetry, zen gardens, photoshop, scrapbooking… it’s all good.
3) IT HAS TO RELATE TO (ONE OF) THE FIRST 10 WORDS IN THE DICTIONARY UNDER THE LETTER M. Don’t have a paper dictionary anymore? Neither do I. Use your imagination for $%^& sakes.
I’m going to call out 10 people who I know are brilliant and diverse and give them a few days to get me something. And then I’ll edit it together and post it on TINB, in a section called 10m, the name of the magasin rapide.
If you want to participate, send your masterpiece in a self-addressed, stamped email to email@example.com with the subject 10m. You need to include the following information:
- ARTIST NAME
- TITLE OF YOUR WORK
- EXPLANATION OF YOUR WORK (optional)
- TIME TAKEN (10 minutes or less please)
- CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE (so your work is protected)
Now stop reading this and go create something right now.